02 December, 2009

transmissionary



This is another page I just finished... a combination of pencil, gouache, and ink. I had the opportunity to listen to George Pratt and Carl Dobsky the other night on conceptart.org's live-streaming sketchbook "clinic." Much thanks to them!... the information was invaluable and just what I needed to hear. The advice that stood out was how the sketchbook is a means to gather ideas and doesn't necessarily have to be perfect but to also be a passenger on the ride rather than a driver when drawing or painting... "happy accidents" ala Bob Ross. I've been having a good time getting lost in these last few pages and the next step is to put the same energy into finished work outside of the sketchbook.

Thanks for looking.
Best-

JS

2 comments:

Jake said...

Very cool, I really like the texture in the background and the stars, the face is well drawn as well. I do think you could push the brightness of the value in the face to make it stand out more against the background, you have a perfect backdrop to frame the face and really make it pop, you just need to really slam it home. Just my two cents.

Johnny Shen said...

Jake - i'm a bit late but, thanks dood. Ur urts is looking good too.