21 November, 2011

MB SF III

Day 4

Almost the end of the workshop... oh no.  But I'm massively inspired to produce and push my work to the next level.  This means most likely losing a few friends.  Oh well.  That's the sacrifice that has to be made.  I've got this almost zen-like calm at this point in the trip.  Various ideas dashing around in my head that need to see fruition.

The day started with watching a demo by HPX.  I've been a big fan of his for a while now and seeing him work is always a treat.  His process is fairly abstract- starting out with really rough lines and then shapes, pushing and pulling values and adding splashes of color throughout.  It was hard to decipher what he was going for until about 1/3 of the way through, but the surprise made it awesome... it always is.  His process is super quick, too. Most definitely underrated at this workshop.  I even got a chance to see him do some figure drawing in his sketch book!  I'm very much a sketchbook sort of artist and getting to see him draw was amazing.  Will definitely never forget that.

Afterwards was the "Mothhead" presentation by Massive Black founders Chris Hatala, Coro and Unity Technologies.  It focused on a character first sculpted by Peter Konig and the character's name pretty much describes it all.  Unity Tech is a new company that provides game development tools for anyone to use.  I don't have an interest in games anymore but the tech seemed super interesting.  It was designed for artists to design games with ease while leaving out all of the technical mumbo jumbo that would scare the laymen straight to hell.  I would recommend trying this program out to anyone interested in developing their own game.  The software is still in beta right now but you can try it out for free from their website.

A demo by Jeremy Mann was next.   He started a fairly large freeway landscape from reference... it was somewhere around 4 x 4 feet.  His process was also really interesting to see as he utilized non-traditional tools- a screen printing squeegee and print making rollers of varying sizes.  His frenetic energy when painting reminded me a little bit of how David Choe paints.  It was awesome to see the entire process because it went by so quickly.  It was about an hour and a half from start to finish.  Made me want to try oils even more.

I watched portrait painting demos afterwards by Carl Dobsky, Coro and Shawn Barber.  I was starting to feel groggy at this point in the trip but then I heard various songs that would normally make me cringe but reminded me, comfortably, of home.  (I'm looking at you, Jordan.)  There was also some R. Kelly that lightened the mood quite a bit.  Funny how certain things can resonate with a person despite how awful and terrible they are.

The last presentation was from J.S. Rossbach, on graphic design applied to illustration.  The information from this presentation made me think the most.  It was interesting to hear because of the graphic application I've been putting into my own work.  The idea that simplicity is key was emphasized... just gotta keep it simple, stupes.  I also got a list of a couple artists that I haven't heard of before to check out, the majority of them from either France or Italy.  Those dudes ooze out so much style it's ridiculous.

Afterwards was dinner with new and old workshop kids.  We were 20 deep, taking over the sidewalk while trying to figure out a place to eat that would seat all of us.  I had a baked macaroni & cheese for the first time and we discussed British cuisine (or atleast the stereotype of British cuisine,) cheap American beer versus American micro-brews, and the differing words and various pronunciations from British English and American English (pecans vs. "peekins", loo/bog/washroom vs. bathroom, garage vs. gas station, etc.)  Post dinner was a trip to a lounge on the 39th story with an amazing view.  The windows were similar to the Death Star (Star Wars fans would rejoice at the site.)

There was a buzz in the air since the next day was the last day of the workshop.  Combine that with the portfolio review and atleast for me, you've got a nervous/anxious excitement.
_________________________________________________________

No comments: