20 November, 2011

MB SF I

Day 2

Slept in early the night before to get a head start on the day.  We met up with a few others and trekked to the venue.  Got there way too early and found this nice little cafe around the corner called L'acajou.  I had this awesome breakfast sandwich- fried egg, pancetta,  dijon mustard and gruyere on a house-baked roll.  Trader Joe's was nearby too!  Haven't been to one since I was last at Encinitas in 2009.  Best food store ever.  EVER.  Only second to farmer's markets, of course... and  Nature's Supply.

The food today in general was great.  A food truck parked next to the venue was serving sandwiches and fries... Peruvian stylee.  I had a Criollo sandwich - chicken breast, red rice, red onion, lettuce, and some kind of sauce that made my taste buds dance, all on fresh bread.  There were probably other ingredients that made the sandwich awesome that my taste buds didn't recognize.  The only problem was that the sandwich exploded upon chewing impact.  You're welcome, pigeons.  For dinner, a few of us stopped into Custom Burger, a place that's completely self explanatory.  I had a salmon burger with olive tapenade, red onions, tomato, monterrey jack cheese, and pesto mayonnaise.  It sounds awful but it wasn't... beasted that thing down, quick.  Have got to figure out the pesto mayo recipe.  I'm normally not a burger kinda guy but this place proved otherwise.

Onto the workshop...

...Meeting up with old workshop buddies and signing in was great.  I hadn't felt like I was at the workshop or even San Francisco at all but being there at that moment was surreal.  Especially when it hit me that I was going to be there for a week.  There was the usual catching up with old friends... about (on average) 4+ years worth of catching up.  Met with some fellow Gorillas as well!  It's interesting when you meet someone in person for the first time after having seen seen their work and gotten to know them through digital means.  Putting a face to a name to their work is somewhat of a mind fuck.  But in a good way.

The first presentation I caught was the Six More Vodka members talking about their work process and the way they progress through the stages of designing a character (since the majority of their work is character based) from sketch to finish.  They also showed some finished designs from a game they've been working on and a brand new IP they've been developing that no one has seen before.  I'm not into games by any means but I will admit that seeing these character designs made me want to start doing designs of my own.  I've already got some ideas in the works for ideations of my friends... you've got to start with what you know, y'know what I mean?  (Insert Jack Nicholson voice here.)

After that was a talk by the Steambot guys in which they demoed what they're best known for... their speed painting magic.  They elaborated upon the idea that speed counts for a lot and having the ability to generate rough ideas efficiently and quickly (no matter what field you're in) is important.

A presentation by Coro was next.  He talked about his comic, Transient.  A huge point was made when he elaborated upon the idea that this project was his baby and he was doing it for himself.  Working with what you know and being true to yourself should not only come naturally but should happen all the time.  It becomes apparent within your work and people can tell when you're faking it.  This was super inspiring, insightful and definitely a good way to end the first workshop day with.

Unfortunately during this day, I started to develop a nasty sore throat and cough combined with a cold.  Achey bones all the way.  Talk about bad timing and putting a huge damper on things.  Boooooo.  It probably didn't help that it was cold, rainy and I decided to drink at the post-first-day-after party.  It was an open bar and I couldn't help myself.  Oh well.
_________________________________________________________

2 comments:

devin platts said...

so awesome to read through your experience!!! i can live vicariously through you ;)

really wish i could have afforded to go :<

Johnny said...

Glad you enjoyed reading it! I'm interested in documentation of experiences... in written form, photos, drawings, whatever. People don't do it enough and it offers others a glimpse into what's been going on. Especially if they don't have a chance to experience the workshop or whatever it is that's being documented.

People were wondering if you were going to make it but I had to tell them no, unfortunately. Cheers brahhh.